JAME offers two series of parent-child workshops that have similar structures but very different objectives.
School readiness workshops
This series of workshops is aimed at pre-school children and their parents to prepare them for school
- Taking the stress out of the unknown at the start of the school year
- Stimulate children's overall development in relation to the skills needed for the start of kindergarten
- Increase parents' knowledge of the expectations of the kindergarten curriculum
- Strengthening parenting skills specifically related to reading
Main themes of the workshops :
1. What is kindergarten?
2. Positive reinforcement and emotional management
3. Routines and nutrition
4. The benefits of reading and language development
5. Learning through play, a learning strategy
6. Children's autonomy and motor skills
Typical structure of a workshop - duration 2.5 h
- Each workshop begins with a joint welcome, after which the children are separated from the parents for about an hour.
- During this period, the children discover readings, games, gross motor activities (yoga, motor skills course) or fine motor activities (crafts, cutting, drawing), etc. Oral interaction is always a priority for the animators, in order to stimulate comprehension and expression in French, while leaving a place of choice to the child's native language.
- During this time, the parents attend a presentation by a specialist and then discuss their questions or concerns with her.
- For the last half hour, parents and children meet to share a snack and attend a reading or activity for all, related to the theme.
- They also leave with a documentation and a list of complementary and fun readings related to the theme.